Hand Washing 101
From handrails and doorknobs to phones and computers, there are a multitude of surfaces that we touch every single day. Think of your hands as the front line against the likes of dirt, germs, and bacteria. This is why it’s so important to wash them often—and well!
Simple Steps for Washing Your Hands
Wet your hands and wrists with clean, running water (warm or cold).
Turn off the tap, and apply hand soap.
Lather up by rubbing your hands together with the soap. Be sure to get the backs, wrists, between your fingers, and under your nails.
Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds.
Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
Dry your hands using a clean towel or by air-drying them.
Hand Care Favorites
When Should You Wash Your Hands?
Because our hands come in contact with so much throughout the day, it’s important to wash them frequently.
But when, exactly?
- Before, during, and after you are in the kitchen handling food.
- Before each meal.
- After sneezing, blowing your nose, or coughing.
- After going to the bathroom.
- After using public transportation.
- After touching dirty objects, such as the trash can.
- After touching an animal.
- Before and after coming in contact with someone who is sick.
What to Use During & After Washing Your Hands
- Washing your hands with soap and running water is the best way to efficiently cleanse your skin, and get rid of dirt and germs (like bacteria and viruses). Our soaps cleanse without drying out your skin, helping to maintain the skin’s natural barrier. If you do not have access to running water, the use of an antibacterial gel is your next best option. Be sure to use hand sanitizers that contain between 60%-70% alcohol. Rub your hands for at least 30 seconds—don’t forget your nails, wrists, backs of hands, and thumbs.
- Cleaning and scrubbing your hands too frequently can strip away the skin’s natural oils that are there for protection. The result can be rough, dry skin. This is when it’s time to give your skin some extra TLC. Make sure to use a dab of moisturizer after washing your hands to help replenish your skin with nourishment for a soft finish.